Friday, November 19, 2010

MySpace Officially Surrenders to Facebook



This week, MySpace officially threw in the towel. On Thursday, MySpace and Facebook announced a deal that would allow for people to go on MySpace using their Facebook account while bringing all their information from Facebook with them. Once they are on MySpace, they can gain new likes and interests as if they were on Facebook. MySpace is calling this "The Facebook Mashup".

Although this signals the official end for MySpace as a Facebook competitor, the signs of the end have been coming for a while. In September, MySpace relaunched itself with a new logo, saying that they are no longer a social network. Instead, they are now involved with social entertainment by promoting online media. Even though MySpace has fallen off the map as a place for conversation, it still pulls its weight in music promotion, and that is why Facebook was so interested in MySpace. With the launch of Ping, an iTunes music social network, two months ago, Facebook wants to ensure that they will be ready for any possible competitions in the future. 

I’m not really sure about this move for Facebook. I’ll admit that MySpace does do a good job of being a venue for music, and I actually go on some bands’ MySpace pages every once in a while. Yet, Facebook is Facebook, and I expect them to create a far superior music community on their own without the help of another site.  So if Facebook was looking to impress me, I don’t think that accepting the white flag of a now beleaguered website was the best way to do it. 

2 comments:

  1. Ahh its funny to see how MySpace is finally on its last legs as Facebook has dominated the Social Networking scene. I agree, I bet Facebook will create a more advaced music community as well, as it seems, MySpace users are for the taking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mention this a bit on my blog but not in great detail. Thanks for the more detailed explanation! I knew it was coming sooner or later. Took long enough for Tom to come around. With the Facebook fan pages and what not, I knew it was becoming too similar and there was no longer a true difference between FB and Myspace besides the layout. Most people trying to get noticed would have a site on both so this integration is very smart of them

    ReplyDelete